Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Take me to....



The Kiwi Art House


What:  Kiwi Art House is an art gallery dedicated to sharing with you local artists and more!

Where: 288 Cuba Street, Wellington

Why:  A beautiful painting makes a house a home!



At the top of Cuba Street you will find one of the most colourful Art Galleries in town. The walls come to life with beautiful paintings made up of mostly local artists which make it a must see in on any art lovers list





Q & A with Alan Aldridge, proud owner of Kiwi Art House


When did you open the Gallery & why?

I opened it in 2008, when I was made redundant from my previous job. I had a bright idea when I was in Caterton visiting galleries, and I thought 'this looks easy, I could have a gallery too. Art has always been a strong interest of mine, I used to do a lot drawings. 






What can we find in your Gallery?

The Emphasis is on Wellington Artists, If you want a painting about Wellington, this is the place to come to. But I also have some artists from around the country, and a collection of other international artists.


What do you look for when selecting something for the Gallery?

Very good question! There are certain things that make a good painting; the composition, vitality, light, but some of them are subconscious. That's what you've got to look for in a painting- Life!


Cool, what are some of the Kiwi Artist you have? 

Vincent Ducan who paints in the impressionist style, Diane Taylor, a water colour artist
Phil Dickson, who paints Wellington scenes and water colours







Best thing about owning your own Gallery?

You have a lot of freedom to decide what to do, freedom of action


And finally what do you love about living in Wellington?

It's a physically beautiful city, I can swim after work-  you can walk everywhere!


Than you Alan 






2 comments: